Applications are invited for part-time Head Lifeguard/ Head Instructor positions at the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, Ron Kolbus location. Positions report to the Aquatics Coordinator.
Schedule: Flexible, regular and on-call shifts during daytimes, evenings, and weekends as needed to satisfy Aquatics programs.
Start Salary: $16.50/hr.
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa values diversity. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and to providing a workplace which is free from discrimination and harassment. This means that all job applicants, employees and volunteers receive equal treatment regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origins, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Safety and Supervision
- Ensure admission and shower policies are enforced
- Ensure consistent rule enforcement
- Report any known or potential hazards immediately
- Involvement and follow-up in any incidents including rescues and the use of first aid necessary for the preservation of life
- Ensure correct guarding ratios, positioning, and scanning
- Ensure deck and pool are prepared before swims and tidied up afterwards
- Ensure teamwork and staff motivation
- Plan, teach, and supervise Red Cross Swim programs
- Ensure a safe aquatic environment during all programs
Administration / Public Relations
- Act as a reference person for all aquatic programs
- Assist with staff scheduling and sign off on payroll timesheets
- Ensure instructional line-ups are up-to-date and reflect program needs and changes
- Ensure all records including daily maintenance checklists, pool tests, and attendance are completed
- Assist with program registration and advertising
- Provide regular feedback to instructors and communicate with parents
- Assist with planning and running staff trainings
General / Maintenance
- Ensure maintenance checklist items and laundry are completed
- Ensure the pool deck and change rooms are kept tidy and hazard-free
- Complete pool tests and pool maintenance tasks as needed
- Inventory and re-stock first aid supplies, pool chemicals and reagents, and program materials
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Coordinator and Clubhouse Manager
Education & Experience:
- Minimum 1 year of experience lifeguarding and teaching/examining Aquatics courses
- National Lifeguard (required)
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C (required)
- Lifesaving Instructor
- First Aid Instructor
- Experience with teaching/ examining other advanced Aquatics courses
- HIGH FIVE certificate is an asset
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Sensitivity to and awareness of diversity issues
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated aquatic leadership skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and within a team environment
- Genuine interest in working with people of all ages
Please note: the following are required for this position:
- Police Record Check (vulnerable sector, for candidates 19 years of age and older)
- National Lifeguard Certificate
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Lifesaving and First Aid Instructor
- Minimum 18 years of age
All interested candidates are asked to submit their application, in confidence, to the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, Human Resource Department.
We encourage all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume and cover letter, quoting the position title. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.