Applications are invited for part-time Lifeguards / Instructors for positions at the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, Ron Kolbus location. Positions report to the Aquatics Coordinator.
Schedule: Flexible, regular and on-call shifts during daytimes, evenings, and weekends as needed to satisfy Aquatics programs.
Salary: $14.50-$16.00 /hour
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa values diversity. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and to providing a workplace which is free from discrimination and harassment. This means that all job applicants, employees and volunteers receive equal treatment regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origins, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Educate the patrons on safe swimming habits and enforce rules
- Perform rescues and first aid necessary for the preservation of life
- Plan and teach Red Cross Swim programs
- Ensure that lifesaving equipment is in proper order
- Report known or potential hazards immediately
- Patrol change rooms on an ongoing basis
- Help with admission standard swim testing
Administration / Public Relations
- Receive and respond to feedback from the public and staff.
- Act as a BGCO resource person to the staff and community.
- Assist with public interaction and education regarding rules, hours, and programs
- Perform daily and weekly task checklists as well as pool tests and program attendance
General / Maintenance
- Assist in the maintenance and cleanliness of the pool, change rooms, storage, and laundry rooms.
- Maintain an acceptable appearance and wear the designated uniform while on duty.
- Attend meetings, in-service training sessions, and clinics as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Coordinator and Clubhouse Manager.
- National Lifeguard
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Lifesaving Society Swim and Lifesaving Instructor, Airway Management
- First Aid Instructor, and other certifications are considered assets
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Sensitivity to and awareness of diversity issues
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and within a team environment
- Genuine interest in working with people of all ages
Please note the following are required for this position:
- Police Record Check (vulnerable sector, for candidates 19 years of age and older)
- National Lifeguard Certificate
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- HIGH FIVE certificate is an asset
- Minimum 16 years of age
All interested candidates are asked to submit their application, in confidence, to the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, Human Resource Department.
We encourage all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume and cover letter, quoting the position title. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.